The EACH Charter
1.Children shall be admitted to hospital only if the care they require cannot be equally well provided at home or on a day basis.
2.Children in hospital shall have the right to have their parents or parent subsitute with them at all times.
3. Accomodation should be offered to all parents and they should be helped and encouraged to stay. Parents should not need to incur additional costs or suffer loss of income.
4. Children and parents shall have the right to be informed in a manner approriate to age and understanding.
5. Children and parents have the right to informed particiation in all decisions involving their health care.
6. Children shall be cared for together with children who have the same developmental needs and shall not be admitted to adult wards.
7. Children shall have full opportunity for play, recreation and education suited to their age and condition and shall be in an environment designed and furnished, staffed and equipped to meet their needs
8.Children shall be cared for by staff whose training and skills enable them to respond to the physical, emotional and developmental needs of children and families.
9. Continunity of care should be ensured by the team caring for children.
10. Children shall be treated with tact and understanding and their privacy shall be respected at all times.
The full annotated version of the Charter is available on the EACH Website. Copies can be ordered from ASC(S) on 0131 553 6553 (£1 each plus postage)
The EACH Poster
This A3 poster is to be read in conjuntion with the EACH Poster. To order your copy contact our office on 0131 553 6553.